Viacom’s Social Commitment
The power to inspire. The will to change.
Engaging audiences through our pro-social initiatives is a commitment that we do not take lightly. It’s an integral part of our day-to-day operations and is inextricably linked to our core business. Our approach has always been to reach our audiences where they are, through the mediums they access most, on every screen big and small and every platform.
“We couldn’t wish for a better partner than Viacom, whose teams contributed to the success of (RED)’s World AIDS Day campaign for 2011.”
Head of Global Communications (RED)
Whether addressing high school graduation rates, human trafficking, global warming or disaster relief, Viacom’s brands approach the critical issues of the day in the same cutting-edge manner they approach creating content. With MTV’s A Thin Line, BET’s Rap-It-Up, Paramount’s Kindergarten to Cap & Gown, CMT One Country, Spike’s Hire a Veteran and Nickelodeon’s The Big Help, just to name a few, we continue to be on the leading edge of what matters to our audiences and what can be done to make a difference.
At Viacom, we believe we have a responsibility to engage our audiences across a whole spectrum of issues — the issues that affect their lives, communities and the world at large. This spirit of Viacommunity is the heart of our social commitment across the company, and it spans a vast array of programs and initiatives, in the U.S. and around the world, ranging from environmental activism to a bus tour for education and everything in between. Some of the highlights include:
- The commitment of over $200 million in media value to pro-social programming overall.
- The mobilization of millions of viewers through broadcast, online and on-the-ground efforts for a variety of causes
- Over 65,000 hours of employee volunteer time.
- Leading the way with MTV’s A Thin Line to address the growing threat of sexting, cyberbullying and digital dating abuse.
- Connecting to 1.5 million Americans and a network of over 100 schools through Get Schooled, our signature education initiative, to inspire students, parents, educators and entire communities to commit to kids’ educations and boost graduation rates.
While our commitment to social responsibility runs deep and wide, Viacom has four targeted areas of focus:
• Health and Wellness
Through these programs, we’re emboldening our audiences to act and making each of our brands a relevant and dynamic part of the broader community. Viacom was named overall leader in CSR practices by PR news in its 2011 CSR Awards.